Friday, December 28, 2012

What's The "i" in iPod and iPhone Mean? What Does Apple Computer's "i" Stand For?


The general consensus seems to suggest that "Internet" is what the " i " in Apple's product line stands for; like "e" stands for "electronic," as in e-mail. This makes me laugh. I've done a little teaching over the years and I like to help others look good expressing themselves through writing; instead of looking like an unschooled "idiot" when it comes to writing in their native language. We each took English in school, right? Well, most of us. Not that I'm perfect in following all the rules either. But, I follow the rules reasonably well, as we all should I think, since it is our own language. But that's just my personal opinion. I love learning and applying knowledge in lots of things, including English; but enough about me.

The word "Internet" is the proper name for the web, so it should always be capitalized, to follow grammar rules. When Steve Jobs of Apple hired his product naming man, and they put a little " i " on the front of their products, they were throwing grammar rules out the window. Also, since many Apple devices start with a small " i " as their proper name, like iMac, they are "breaking the rules" so to speak, with their entire product line name. It's kind of a good idea promotional wise, to be looked at as the renegade brand that does things differently and in an original, more personal way. I think Apple has become more cutting edge lately in their line of electronics and am amazed at what they have developed. I haven't always felt this way about Apple but am noticing a wider margin of innovation and functionality. Do you feel that way at all?

I've heard some people say they liked to think of the little " i " in Apple's products as representative of themselves; as in "me, myself and I." As in, it's my personal Mac computer the iMac, or my personal phone, the iPhone. I'm sure Apple doesn't mind that mindset at all. Here's a funny thing though, once I saw an interview with Steve Jobs and he said the little " i " stood for idiot. Very funny. His idiot machines are pretty smart.

I do have a complaint against Apple however. I think this one company is "helping" people everywhere forget their basic English grammar rule of putting a capitalized letter on the front of proper names. When everyone sees the small " i " on the front of this brand, they tend to use that model in regards to the word "Internet." This makes me a little irritated with a small " i " as I see more and more people doing this. At least I finally think I know what has been causing it ...a great Apple marketing campaign! Well, that and maybe a bit of our declining American education system. At least we got the little " i " in front of Apple's products settled. And if you wouldn't mind, could you please capitalize Internet from now on? I'd like to get that back on track so I don't have to think about it every time I browse the Internet. Or should I say, "every time i browse the internet?"




0 comments:

Post a Comment


Twitter Facebook Flickr RSS



Français Deutsch Italiano Português
Español 日本語 한국의 中国简体。